4:42 pm - Thursday January 18, 1923

Right bodies accuse govt of favoring MNCs    

Fifteen civil society organisations promoting human rights on Saturday accused the government of favoring multinational companies (MNCs) with tax rules.

They also demanded stopping further extension of value added tax (VAT) net as planned for the upcoming budget as it is ‘regressive to poor’.

taxThey came up with the demands at a rally in front of the National Press Club, said a media release.

The 15 participating organisations are Arpon, Bangladesh Bhumihin Samity, Bangladesh Krishak Federation, Coastal Development Partnership, Kishani Sava, Nature Campaign Bangladesh, NCCB, Online Knowledge Society, Prantajon, SDO, Sangsaptak, Udayan Bangladesh, Unnayan Dhara Trust, and United People’s Trust.

Mostafa Kamal Akanda of EquityBD, Dr Mejbah Uddin of Jatiya Sramik Jote, Badrul Alam of Bangladesh Krishak Federation, Subol Das of Bangladesh Bhumihin Samity, Syed Amiul Haque and Rezaul Karim Chowdhury of EquityBD spoke at the rally.

The speakers said 70 percent of the national revenue is collected as indirect tax like VAT, and this is regressively charged from the poor while the rest 30 percent comes from the rich and companies as direct tax.

Rezaul Karim said the government is enhancing its revenue expenditure without any justification. “The size of our ministry and cabinet is quite bigger than other least development countries. The government must consider justice in fiscal policies.”


He said the government must revise the Right to Information Act so that the common people may have access to the accounts of MNCs and local companies if they want.